Tuesday, February 3, 2009

My Newest Finds

I've been a bit stressed out lately and decided that today I would treat myself. Without knowing exactly what treat I wanted, I made a mental list and decided that a trip to the local Salvation Army would do. You see, I just figured out how much money I've made running my own business compared to how much money I've spent last year. The number was depressing and made me want to spoil myself without spending more money. So, thrift store, here I come.

I generally have a few things that I look for immediately when walking into a thrift store: furniture, books, kid's clothing (since I have two of 'em) and silver candlesticks. That last one- I don't know- just a mild obsession that I have lately.

Today, not much in the furniture department that was pleasing to the eye. Ambled on over to the books and within a couple of minutes, I had a stack of four already in my hands. After only about ten minutes total, I walked out of the section with TEN BOOKS! Holy you know what..... when the heck am I ever going to find the time to read all of these new books when there's already a stack of at least fifteen under my nightstand waiting to be read?

Here's what I bought today:

The Last September by Elizabeth Bowen
The Spring of the Ram by Dorothy Dunnett
Violette's Embrace by Michele Zackheim
Three Junes by Julia Glass
Foreign Brides by Elena Lappin
Miracle at St. Anna by James McBride
The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini (I just noticed that I already have this on my bookshelf! Will donate to a friend.)
Four Novellas- Valentino, Sagittarius, Family, Borghesia by Natalia Ginzburg
The Physics of Sunset by Jane Vandenburgh
Oyster by John Biguenet

I bought all of the above books, two pairs of jeans, one skirt and one shirt for my two year old daughter for..... a little over $12. Incredibly cheap. I love you Salvation Army.

Now, which book should I read first? Decisions, decisions.....

2 comments:

  1. what fun! books (at thrift stores) are a great way to spoil yourself. i'm pretty sure i've read three junes and enjoyed it, and i know for certain that i've read the kite runner and also enjoyed it though it was not a "feel good" kinda read. do you often receive book store gift cards for holidays and birthdays? i do. and i hoard them. i have a collection of 3 right now. there's so much i want to spend them on that i get overwhelmed and just hold onto them (it's not as easy to spend 'em when you're paying full price and they don't go very far.). i look forward to hearing what you read first and what you think of it...

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are lucky to have so many gift cards to bookstores. Go and buy some new books that are much sought after (the Twilight Series, for example) then sell them on ebay to get cash to buy a ton of thrift store books! It's amazing what you can get for selling some books on ebay!

    ReplyDelete